Remote access - FAQ
- What is remote access?
- Which Library members (in the University of Ljubljana system) are able to use remote access service?
- How do I obtain a password for remote access?
- I forgot a password. How do I obtain a new one?
- I am an active member of a library participating in remote access system and I have a valid password. How does remote access to information resources work?
- Why are there some resources that are unavailable via remote access?
- Why can't all the library members of all participating libraries access the resources via remote access?
- I registered my membership in more than one library at the University of Ljubljana. Which library should I choose when logging into remote access?
- Licensing terms.
- Do my device need any special configuration or settings?
- How do I set accepting cookies in my web browser?
- Help needed?
Remote access service is provided by the National and University Library (NUK), thus addressing the needs of the University of Ljubljana faculty libraries, along with the Central Technological Library, NUK, and public libraries. Supported by appropriate software and hardware, the service allows library members to access electronic resources no matter the place or the time he/she chooses to access the resources.
Remote access requires logging into the service with a library membership card number or with a student card number from the University of Ljubljana and a password. This protocol allows the system to verify user's identity and his/her eligibility to access the collection or the resource. The range of resources, available via remote access to individual member, depends on his/her membership status (University of Ljubljana student/employee, student of other University, non-University employee etc.) and the licensing terms.
Which Library members (in the University of Ljubljana system) are able to use remote access service?
Libraries choose independently whether they wish to participate in the remote access authentication system. At this moment, remote access service may be used by library members of the following institutions:
- National and University Library - NUK
- Central Technological Library at the University of Ljubljana - CTK
- ACADEMY OF MUSIC Library
- ACADEMY OF THEATRE, RADIO, FILM AND TELEVISION Library
- ACADEMY OF FINE ARTS AND DESIGN Library
- BIOTECHNICAL FACULTY, Central Biotechnical Library and SIC for Biotechnology
- FACULTY OF ECONOMY, Central Economics Library
- FACULTY OF ARCHITECTURE, Library
- FACULTY OF SOCIAL SCIENCES, Jože Goričar Central Social Sciences Library
- FACULTY OF ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING, Library of the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and the Faculty of Computer and Information Science
- FACULTY OF PHARMACY, Library
- FACULTY OF CIVIL ENGINEERING AND GEODESY, Library
- FACULTY OF CHEMISTRY AND CHEMICAL TECHNOLOGY, Library
- FACULTY OF MATHEMATICS AND PHYSICS, Department of Mathematics, Mathematics Library
- FACULTY OF MATHEMATICS AND PHYSICS, Department of Physics, Physics Library
- FACULTY OF MARITIME STUDIES AND TRANSPORT, Library
- FACULTY OF COMPUTER AND INFORMATION SCIENCE, Library of the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and the Faculty of Computer and Information Science
- FACULTY OF SOCIAL WORK, Library
- FACULTY OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERING, Library of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
- FACULTY OF ADMINISTRATION, Library
- FACULTY OF SPORT, Library of the Faculty of Sport
- FACULTY OF ARTS, Central Humanities Library
- FACULTY OF MEDICINE, Central Medical Library
- FACULTY OF NATURAL SCIENCES AND ENGINEERING, Library of the Department of Geology
- FACULTY OF NATURAL SCIENCES AND ENGINEERING, Library of the Department of Geotechnology and Mining & the Department of Materials Science and Metallurgy
- FACULTY OF NATURAL SCIENCES AND ENGINEERING, Library of the Department of Textiles
- FACULTY OF EDUCATION, Library
- FACULTY OF LAW, Library of the Faculty of Law
- FACULTY OF THEOLOGY, Library of the Faculty of Theology
- FACULTY OF THEOLOGY, Maribor Theological Library
- VETERINARY FACULTY, Library of the Veterinary Faculty
- FACULTY OF HEALTH STUDIES, Library
These libraries are listed in the drop-down menu on the login site of the remote access service.
Remote access can be used by active members of the libraries, participating in the system. If you are not a member, you need to register. A password for using remote access is the same as the password to use the 'My library' application on the COBISS/OPAC system, where you can see the list of your borrowed material or make the reservation of materials via on-line catalogue. Visit the library of your Faculty or Department, NUK, or CTK, where your password will be assigned to your membership profile. Your password is usable right after this assignation. The list of Libraries of the University of Ljubljana.
You can register as a member of NUK at the following address: 1, Turjaška Street in Ljubljana, Ground Floor, Office No 04, at the Registration & Circulation Desk. Opening times are from Monday to Friday, from 9 AM to 6 PM, Saturday from 9 AM to 2 PM. We advise all students and employees of the University of Ljubljana to obtain the password at the library of their parent/home Faculty or Academy, NUK, or CTK.
If you forgot your password and you have valid membership, you can apply for a new password via web form My Library - forgotten password to get new one.
I am an active member of a library participating in remote access system and I have a valid password. How does remote access to information resources work?
You can choose or browse the information resources on Mrežnik – the information resources portal, DiKUL or at websites of individual libraries, faculties… If you access the resources from a location that does not require your password – e. g. from the location of NUK – the link redirects you directly to the resource. From every other location – e. g. from dormitory – you will need your password. Every description of a given information resource contains a list of links that lead to that resource. And this list has clear information on whether there is a remote access option and which users or group of users are able to use it.
The remote access login form.
Remote access is determined with the contract between libraries and providers. Some providers don't allow remote access at all while others require additional fees to enable remote access. Libraries try to enable remote access to as many resources as possible according to their financial abilities.
Why can't all the library members of all participating libraries access the resources via remote access?
Libraries and providers have signed the licensing terms and those, among other things, also determine who can use remote access to an information resource. The largest number of resources are available via remote access to the students and employees of the University of Ljubljana, no matter whether they are registered at their parent library, NUK or CTK; a certain number of resources are available via remote access also to other members of NUK and CTK, members who are not students or employees of University of Ljubljana. Members of other libraries of the University of Ljubljana, who are not either students or employees of the University of Ljubljana, have access to a limited number of resources. Some resources are available via remote access only to students and employees of some faculties of the University of Ljubljana, who are registered at the faculty library. If you are not entitled to access the resource, the service answers your login attempt with the message: Access denied due to licensing terms. But the bulk of resources are available to all users at various library locations, no matter their status.
I registered my membership in more than one library at the University of Ljubljana. Which library should I choose when logging into remote access?
Always choose the library at the Faculty/Academy, where you study or work, or choose NUK or CTK. This is the only way that the system will recognize you as a student or employee of the University of Ljubljana.
Your password is intended for your personal use exclusively and must not be shared with other persons. You are obliged to respect the licensing terms of information resource providers or publishers. We will sanction the offenders according to each library’s policy for working with users. Information resources are intended to serve your personal use only; if you work for an institution that is in the need of a resource, they need to make their own subscription. The subscription of the libraries of the University of Ljubljana is not a substitution for the subscription of your institution.
You don't need to make any changes on most of devices. If you're having any problems, please check your web browser's support for accepting cookies.
These are links to the instructions of how to manage cookies with most often used web browsers:
If you need more help with the remote access service, please do not hesitate to send us your question via our web form or call 01/200 11 94 (Monday-Friday 9 am – 2 pm; Wednesday 9 am – 6 pm).